The Pennsylvania State University Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) is seeking an individual with broad knowledge and experience in all aspects of a Safety Advisor. This position is responsible for overseeing and the implementation of regulatory compliance and safety practices organized under the College of Health and Human Development (HHD) which consists of 8 academic departments and 4 research centers, as well as central services units. This position will work closely with Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) leadership to effectively identify and implement EHS program needs. The primary responsibility will be working with HHD research faculty, with occasional assistance to and/or coordination with central units.
- Monitor and coordinate safety initiatives, training, inspections, and programs. Collaboratively develop, review, assess, evaluate, and oversee annual Integrated Safety Plans for the College. Facilitate EHS training to HHD faculty & staff and conduct training as appropriate. Work closely with HHD leadership and EHS to implement and coordinate safety practices and regulatory compliance programs for environmental health and safety programs. This includes ensuring compliance with applicable health and safety rules, regulations, standards and procedures. Proactively serve as a safety resource for HHD employees. Develop innovative and effective strategies and communication plans that ensure that these programs and practices are implemented and coordinated throughout HHD. These programs include, but are not limited to biological safety, chemical safety, and lab safety.
- Develop partnerships and integral working relationships with HHD leadership, safety officers, faculty, staff, and others, to support and enhance the College’s commitment to health and safety. Establish, participate and facilitate HHD Safety Committee in coordination with the Committee Chair. Work with lab space managers to facilitate an effective and robust community of practice in support of HHD’s mission.
- Provide guidance and assistance to HHD faculty and staff to ensure implementation of regulatory compliance and safety practices, including, but not limited to, assisting in guiding the development of procedures and plans for current and future needs. This would include guiding the development of monitoring and response procedures applicable to HHD operations.
- Establish effective processes to monitor activities that may present a health or safety hazard within HHD to ensure that current and future environmental health and safety needs are met. Conduct space audits to ensure lab assignments and research space are being used appropriately.
- Audit programs and procedures within HHD to assess compliance with Environmental Health and Safety programs, HHD policy and procedures, and best practices. Identify and implement enhancements based on findings. Report progress and problems to HHD leadership.
- Respond to emergencies, accidents or incidents – Determine the scope and extent of the problem and initiate/conduct remediation measures. Assist in the conduct of follow-on investigations to ensure measures are implemented to prevent recurrences. Partner with Emergency Management and Police Services, as needed. May be asked to serve as the College’s liaison to coordinate emergency evacuation drills. Resolve existing EHS issues as a means to prevent or minimize the frequency and severity of emergency incidents.
- Participate on EHS team and provides support to further departmental mission.
Education and Experience
Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, environmental management, industrial hygiene or closely related field, plus 5 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Familiarization or experience working in a research or clinical laboratory setting with the presence of chemical, biological, or radiological hazards. Familiarity and hands-on experience with industrial hygiene equipment preferred including the ability to read and interpret instrument readings. Demonstrated experience communicating technical information to a wide range of audiences is necessary.
The candidate must be able to achieve medical clearance and be able to wear respiratory protection. This position is required to respond to emergencies involving biological, chemical and laboratory as directed. Valid PA driver’s license and ability to operate a motor vehicle may be required.